Sunday, October 31, 2010

Theory of a Failed Theory

"Ahhh.....  FAIL!!"

That is the phrase I used to hear on the radio every morning, and it is exactly what I think of, when I hear people say "Fail". It's a little hard to describe in text, but basically it starts with a male screaming "Ahhh..." as if he is falling off a cliff. Then it is followed by a choir-like voices singing the last word "Fail!", in high-pitch much like something heavenly or holy or wadeva. Hmm... Get it? lol.



Anyway, that's not the important part of this post. Just an entertaining intro. The main part is that I think I failed ultimately and majorly at predicting the psychology and social interactions of girls. Spicy topic enough for ya? Good, now that I have you interests, I must warn you that I am discussing a failed theory, so much of this will be discussing a somewhat inapplicable failed theory.

Cutting to the chase, the main theory works with how our National Service and University Education system works. Basically, after graduating from their respective education institutes and before starting university education, all males have to undergo national service which spans a period of 2 years. What this essentially means, is that in the universities the boys will always be older than the girls. In a way it is weird, particularly for the girls, but its not by choice or anything...

So, the important part of this is friends! Friendships between boy and girl classmates. When the girls go to university and the boys go off to national service, they will be separated. So when the girls start uni, they will make new friends with the boys there, who are older than them. Similarly, the boys will make new friends with younger girls when they re-start their education. BY RIGHT, this theory should hold true. But I failed to consider the magnitude or rather the ease of making new friends of different age.

In reality, the girls don't actually just 'forget' their boyfriends and other classmates who are in national service. They can still socialise and meet up regularly, thus renewing their friendships. So, for the older boys who don't really have any girl friends, this becomes a challenge or barrier to entry (if you like economics terms), that the boys have to overcome or jump over, in order to mix with the younger girls. If you are that lucky fella in national service with friends who still keep in touch then lucky you, but you must know that when you come out, they will be your seniors, and will probably be learning different stuff from you. For the rest of the less fortunate, there are only 2 options. Either learn to adapt and socialise, and fast. Or live a sad and lonely life in uni with only you and your guy friends.

The second option is really not THAT bad if you think about it. Still get company, though not much chances of eventually starting a happy family... Unless you are not straight... Lol. But there are many variables to consider. In your bachelor lifestyle and single life, there might be a sudden rare occurrence or meeting that would set of what eventually becomes a  strong relationship. It's really hard to predict these things.... The other safer option though, is to socialise. And in this department, some people are more social than other, so it's not an even playing field. It's literally a war zone, especially when the Demand and Supply do not meet...


What about me? Let's just say I am not very sure where I am now... I keep hovering between option 1 and option 2. In my opinion, both promise a different path to happiness. Different type of happiness. However, if the socialise option bears fruit, it could be powerful enough to motivate success as well. Hence my dilemma. Unsure whether to pursue, or to just take a step back and take it easy for now. They say there are many fish in the ocean, but this ocean is the type of over fished and underpopulated ocean... :\


However, the more and more I think... The harder it seems to make the socialise option work. Especially with my eccentric personality. I might actually be better off going for the other option and hoping a that once in a lifetime 'rare occurence'. Though I can argue that it's been many years already, and I have not had such an 'occurence'. And there is no telling how long it will take, or if it will even happen.... I seriously need to go out more. I wish someone would ask me out. : (


Sigh... Conclusion? None.
Big Conundrum.


"Ahhh..... FAIL!!"  :s

No comments:

Post a Comment