Yep, that's how I feel about horoscopes.
Horoscopes are generally used for two purposes. One, is to find out your daily horoscope predictions on how your day is gonna turn out. Two, is for romance and finding your "perfect soulmate". Today I am gonna show that in both of these applications, it is utterly useless bull-crap, and that nobody in their right mind should go into these stuffs.
Ok, starting with the first one. The application to predict our daily lives and how our day is gonna be. Now, I have no big issues with this, except that it is usually nonsense. I mean, the predictions are so general that it could apply to anyone. You don't have to be of that specific sign. The "predictions" could just be something general that could happen to many people. So people who feel like it applied to them would think that the prediction was accurate. It's all a psychological trick, I've seen such things in a documentary before, but I won't go too much into the details here. Perhaps a simple illustration, here is my horoscope for today:
Work toward achieving a better unity between you and the people around you, Aquarius. It could be that certain people in your circle of friends somehow feel alienated in one way or another. Perhaps they don't feel like they fit in with the rest of the group. Remind yourself and others that everyone is unique and that all should be equally accepted despite individual differences. ~horoscope.com
Firstly, yes I am an Aquarius, but that doesn't really matter. For Christ's sake, don't let that fact change your opinion of me. I'm just me ok?
More importantly though, let's take a look at the so called "predictions". If you noticed, they are using very general and vague terms like, "It could be", "certain people", "one way or another", "Perhaps", etc. These are all vague terms that people use to cover up their uncertainties in such a way that makes them sound certain, but can shy away from accusations should you try to challenge them. I know, because I frequently use them. It's a useful tool to "cover up you leaks", and seem knowledgeable and confident about stuff you actually don't know. Lol.
I just want to state that these kind of horoscopes USUALLY don't harm anybody, but we need to know that it is all just for good fun, and should not be taken too seriously. It is just general "good advice" that you could apply to you life. Unless they are charging you money for it. In which case, it is downright dirty and unscrupulous conning of money.
The second use of horoscopes is far more harmful and potent that the first. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it could ruin lives! Serious!
My argument against this is not so much about the predictions themselves, which is bull-crap, but is about the disastrous effect of taking such things into account when entering a relationship.
Thankfully in these days, people hardly look at your horoscope before they actually start dating. Imagine the disastrous effect of two people who like each other very much, but one or both of them one day suddenly find out that they are "astrologically incompatible". In theory, it should not change anything, but psychologically it makes a really great impact. How so?
When the couple is well aware that they are "incompatible", they will start to take more notice of each others' differences, and slowly but subconsciously, they will gradually grow into and fit into the stereotype of the sign that they are in, unawares of course. Then over a period of time, they might start to blame each other for certain small mistakes and incompetencies of the other party, based on the characteristics on his/her sign. They might or might not say it out, but that is irrelevant, as long as they think of it. This in turn will cause them to grow apart or not get along so well. In the worst case, it could eventually lead to them breaking up.
It might not happen, but it is highly likely that that reading or even acknowledging horoscopes can have profound effects on our psychology. The worst part is that if it does happen, the effect on both parties can be potentially disastrous. And therefore, I argue that we should never take into account our horoscopes, and should regard it as utter bull-crap. I mean, if a couple loves each other very much, does it really matter what their signs are? If they get along, then that's fine! It not, then they should try to work out their differences and learn to accommodate to each other right? Isn't that how it's meant to be done? I rest my case.
So that's my take on Horoscopes. It's a fun thing to read and laugh about once in awhile. But one should never take it too seriously, especially in love and the so called "soulmate" crap.
On a side note, read through what I just wrote again carefully. You will notice I used some of the elements and terms of what horoscope writers like to use to sound vague. In my case, I used it to try and convince you of my arguments. It's elementary english really, but can sometimes be easily overlooked.
I just conned you! :P
Kidding. That's what I really feel.
Btw, it doesn't matter if you are not Gemini, Libra or Sagittarius.
Heck, you could even be Taurus, Scorpio or Leo, or wadeva.
You Aquarius friend will still always be there for you! ♥
^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment