Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Girls in Singapore



Hello everyone!

Did you miss me? I know I haven't posted in a few months.... But hey, nothing much to talk about here since I have my other blog. I guess I will only be posting here if I have stuff to says that is not "politically correct", if you know what I mean.

And today, I really do have a rather controversial topic. It is regarding the girls in Singapore. Basically, this comment came from a friend when we were chatting over lunch today. He told me that his friend (a foreigner, mind you. no local bias), told him that:

"Singapore girls are like princesses."

Now, of course he said that in Singlish, and his english isn't too good. What I think he meant to say was: Singapore girls are like over-pampered princesses. Because the negative connotation in his voice was obviously very clear. So that's the base context for this post, let's just set it as that first.

Why discuss this topic? Well, I think it is pretty obvious. Firstly, I'll be frank. I have no girlfriend. Next, with Singapore's declining birthrates, I felt that it is of utmost importance that this issue is addressed. The sooner the better.

Let's set a basis for comparison shall we? I think we can agree that in many cities around the world, particularly asian countries, the males are commonly seen as the dominant sex. What do I mean dominant. I'm talking about social status and perceived importance and respect. It's the culture on a whole. In comparison, the females are perceived to be more submissive and basically just not on exactly the same level as men. I don't mean this in a derogatory way. I stress again that I mean it in terms of behaviour and generally how they would live and communicate with each other.

So, assuming that we have no misunderstanding in terms of the context, let's look at Singapore today. Girls are given way too much preferential treatment. I'm not just talking about simple acts like helping a girl carry her bags, open the car door, or giving up your seat to a lady. I mean it in a much deeper level. See, women these days truly believe that they are on equal footing with men. Heck, many even feel like they are greater than some men (generally speaking the less good looking or poorer ones?), to the extent that they might even despise us? Who knows what women think right?


What I'm really saying is they tend to hold a 'high and mighty' attitude these days. This is inherently somehow tied in with the 'career first' women of today, and the putting off of babies. With such... do I dare say... arrogance, some women rather remain single even in their 30s, than settle for an average man. It's not that they are not entitled this choice but let's face it, every woman comes with an expiry date that is around 40. After which, childbirth is difficult and probably even dangerous. Perhaps they are too choosy, having their own preconceived fantasy of the "perfect" (and by that I mean the most accommodating and caring) man. Or perhaps they really feel like they don't need men.

But when have the roles reversed? Men need to be really accommodating to women? Didn't it use to be the other way around? Our increasing levels of education and development in this little metropolitan state is a large culprit of that. In fact, it was foretold a long time ago! By none other than our former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew! I can't recall what was exactly said, but it went along the lines of: "I regret educating the women".

And of course LKY received immediate backlash from the public, and had to apologize, yada yada. While I don't necessarily agree with him publicly saying this, if we look closer he does have a very valid concern there. Tyrant he may be, LKY is a visionary and had played a role in shaping Singapore to how it is today, and I highly respect him for that. Let's face it, he was right. While the solution is most definitely NOT revoking their right to education, we have to concede that it was the education that allowed women to work alongside men or even surpass them. To grant them better careers and pull them away from the household where they traditionally belonged. It's a natural phenomena that nobody could prevent, but I just thought we should identify the root cause first.

Now if it happens naturally and on a global scale, why do I complain? The fact is that it does not! Female superiority as I'm terming it, is not uniform throughout the world. I would even argue that it is more prevalent here than almost anywhere else! Let's look at other asian countries like our closest neighbour Malaysia. They are nowhere like us. Depending on which part you visit, you'll notice that most of the girls there are still rather respectful, polite, homely and do their chores.

I guess we can talk about other less developed countries all we want without proving anything. Why don't we take an extreme example then? Have you been to Japan? The girls there are sooooo polite, courteous and submissive that they will put any Singaporean girl to shame any day! I mean that like seriously, you can take our sample of "best" girls and compete it with a random sample of theirs, and they would still stomp us. If I had to make a controversial statement today, it would be that Japan is a man's paradise.

But do I expect the extreme? Certainly not. Am I a chauvinist and anti-feminist? Far from it. I never ever setreotype them as my friends can attest. And I don't even accuse women of being bad drivers! What I'm calling for is just that little bit of respect and social status that god granted us men.

God? Whoa, bold statement there....

Yes, you heard right. If I even have to stoop to that level for you to see my point... Let's look at it from a physical level. God built men stronger, faster and tougher and overall more masculine then women. You just can't argue against that. Whereas women were built to bear children in their womb for a good 9months and nurse them over the following period by feeding them breast milk. The role of men and women is really natures law and not a result of men oppressing women over the centuries. We respect your roles, and we ask in return that you respect ours. That's all.


So girls... Don't be a pissy over-pampered princess okay?




Love,

TheObserver

No comments:

Post a Comment