Sunday, January 2, 2011

I'm back yo!

Okok, I knew I did neglect my blog for a period of time. But I was undergoing a profound transformation or mental rehab if you will. And have pretty much came to my senses on my direction in life. It seems that goal setting has to be a rather selfish and one minded task. But more on that some other time. Today I shall deliver the stage 1, that lead me on my path. That is, the long overdue post on the topic of Patriarchy. So let's begin.


Patriarchy – Literally means the rule of the father and is generally understood within feminist discourses in a dualistic sense as asserting the domination of all men over all women in equal terms. The theoretical adequacy of patriarchy has been challenged because, for instance, black men to not have control over white women and some women (slave/mistresses) have power over subaltern women and men (slaves).


Source: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/03/21/faq-isnt-the-patriarchy-just-some-conspiracy-theory-that-blames-all-men-even-decent-men-for-womens-woes/

The article was slightly informative, though it had a slight slant and agenda, seeing as it came from a pro-feminism site. For a more general overview with some technical details, I would suggest the wiki instead.

But for the purpose of today's discussion, I am not focusing on the political or societal impacts and such. I wanna look deeper into the people themselves (both the male and female), and examine the social constraints and traditions affecting their ways of thinking and thus their behaviour.

Why am i I talking about it as though I'm not part of it? Well, technically I'm not, because I'm an isolated oddball who doesn't really interact with girls all that much anyway. But that's besides the point. When I examine things as The Observer, I always take a third person perspective view. It allows me to observe from a vacuum and hence easily identify all the possible causes and consequences.

Oh boy, this is such a huge topic. Where to start?
Let's start on the girls' side then.

Basically, Patriarchy refers to the fundamental way societies worldwide function. Male Dominance. It's as simple as that. Although on a global scale, it varies from place to place, but it exists in one form or another EVERYWHERE. Yep, from third world countries to developed nations, it's there. It's not necessarily bad (really, the world is not ending because of it), but a rather interesting phenomenon.

Let's examine the female side shall we. Girls grow up being brought up in a family, where usually the Father is the sole breadwinner or the one who works the hardest, and brings home the larger paycheck. As such, he calls the shots and is overall the most respected figure in the family. That's not to say the mother is any less respected. But the "respects" in this sense is slightly different. One is respects with a slight tinge of fear and obedience, the other is respects out of love. Yes yes, I love my dad too. But this is the best way I can explain it, for lack of better words.

Anyways, so the fact is girls grow up learning to respect and obey the men, or even to admire their strength. And yes, we are physically stronger then them so the admiration is not really unfounded.

Let's examine the male side of the story then. The boy grows up, and is naturally expected to succeed the father as the so called heir of the family. As such, as much as the mother loves her children equally, in most cases extra special attention is paid to the son. The mother also from her past respects for men, will treat the small boy better and give in every once in awhile to buy him toys and such. The father will also tend to teach him and guide him along the way about things, and who knows maybe about girls too.

Well, that's probably the over generalised summary, but it's about the most detailed I can give without running a 20 page essay. The point here is that it is a tradition, and it is how society works. Who are we to start changing things. It's a whole lot bigger than one person can change. I admit trying to accommodate more, and play the weakling and all, but that didn't turn out well. It didn't help my grades, nor did it seem to attract the girls at all.

The question here is why?

The reason I have come up with is that girls actually like to be dominated upon. Now, before you readers go all crazy and start the flame wars, hear me out and listen to my explanations. I mean, if you look at it this way. Why do girls dress up all nice and pretty? Why do they put on make-up and try to look good? Ultimately it's not for their own sake or for fellow girls to comment on. It wouldn't be worth all that effort anyway. They do what they do for the sake of men. They look good in hopes of finding the guy who will fancy her, in hopes of getting into a relationship.

Why does she want to get into a relationship in the first place? Well, besides the obvious reason of mating, which is a natural instinct, the other reason I found is for protection. Yes, I'm sure most girls like men because they can get a greater sense of security when they are in a relationship. And it all stems from the fact that men are physically stronger than women, and thus are able to provide them protection.



To quote wiki:

To be antifeminist is simply to accept that men and women differ and rely on each other to be different, and to view the differences as among the things constituting human life that should be reflected where appropriate in social attitudes and institutions. By feminist standards all societies have been thoroughly sexist. It follows that to be antifeminist is only to abandon the bigotry of a present-day ideology that sees traditional relations between the sexes as simply a matter of domination and submission, and to accept the validity of the ways in which human beings have actually dealt with sex, children, family life and so on. Antifeminism is thus nothing more than the rejection of one of the narrow and destructive fantasies of an age in which such things have been responsible for destruction and murder on an unprecedented scale.


So, why am I talking about Patriarchy? No, I don't consider myself an Anti-Feminist. There is a purpose behind me reflecting on this. It's not meant in a derogatory way to women, but rather to boost my self-confidence and get my perspectives right.

Basically, if you have read my previous posts, I have become much of a weakling lately. One reason was the daunting experiences I had in Secondary School that totally shattered my ego. The other more subtle reason was me thinking of being more metrosexual to appeal to girls. My error there was equating metrosexual to being weak. When it actually just means paying more attention to grooming.

But that's not quite the point. The main point of this narcissistic blog, is to reflect about myself, things that happened to me, and what I should be doing or where I should be heading. (narcissistic to the max)

So in case you are still reading, the whole point of today's post, it to tell myself that I have to work harder and change my way of thinking. I can no longer play the weakling. I have to strive harder to be the strong one, who can provide and protect for my future girlfriend. If the opportunity arises though. Not sure any girls wants me as of now. My grades suck, and I'm not not exactly the most handsome dude.


All the more I have to be more dominant! I've always felt that confidence is a very powerful weapon. It's time to build up that ego again!

Thanks for reading the ultra long post. It's been awhile since I did one like this. So, here's another music video to reward you - my loyal readers! :D




Meaningful lyrics... Nice Song...


Till next time fellow observers.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment